Previous PageNext PageReturn to Index

"Reminiscences of Saratoga"
compiled by Cornelius E. Durkee

Page 13
July 22, Sheehan and Bridges' clothing store was opened on Broadway, opposite the American hotel.

August 25, Samuel Pitkin was postmaster this year.

Octoher 1, The Hudson River Railroad began running between Troy and New York.

This year the Saratoga histronic Association was formed by young men, who gave amateur theatricals in the Pavilion Fountain house. This house was located on the south side of Lake ave., opposite the present B. and M. railroad station. It was a two story building, the ground floor being used as the armory of a military Co., of the 59th Regiment.

The meetings of the Histronic Association were on the second floor, wooden benches used for seats. Among the members of the association were Charles Fox, J. R. Plunkett, James H. Huling, Emmet Smith and A. A. Paterson. Performances were given weekly.

November 21, E. J. Huling purchased the Saratoga Whig from G. W. Spooner.

November 27, the James Bank, located at Jamesville, failed. Jamesville was the first name of our present Middle Grove and the bank that failed was owned by John W. James.


1852

The United States hotel was kept by James M. Marvin and Co., Union Hall by H. H. Hathorn and Mrs. Washington Putnam; Congress Hall by J. T. Brown; The American hotel by Wilcox and Pitkin; Columbian hotel, located at the corner of Broadway and Lake ave., by W. S. Balch; Globe hotel, which later was the Commercial hotel, by William Dayton; Montgomery Hall by C. B. Moon; York house, now the Worden hotel, by Philip Snyder.

March 19th, a building known as the Washouse, which was left standing when the Pavilion hotel was burned in October, 1848, was destroyed by fire.

April 28, Alexander S. Hayes married Marion C. Cook. They were parents of Lewis Hayes, now living in Saratoga Springs on Broadway.

May 20, Union Hall opened.

October 14, Augustus S. Fonda married Sarah C. Dunton.

October 15, the Saratoga Whig was published by Huling and Potter.

November 21, H. P. Trim and O. K. Weeks opened a new hardware store on Broadway.

December 25, a supper was given at Stanwix Hall, at which a silver pitcher and goblets were presented to William B. Gage, master mechanic of railroad shops here, on his departure for Louisville, Kentucky. Stanwix Hall was located then on the corner of Broadway and Congress street. Mr. Gage was chief engineer of the Saratoga fire department and was very popular.

December 29, Thomas J. Marvin died in Cuba at the age of 49 years.


1853

Joseph Westcott died at the age of 59 years.

January 20, the body of Thomas Marvin arrived in Saratoga from Cuba.

January 22, the funeral of Thomas J. Marvin was held and was very largely attended. The Masons and firemen and two bands were in the procession to do last tribute to him.

Lewis P. Close was appointed postmaster in place of Samuel Pitkin.

April 25, P. M. Moriarty and Chauncey Hathorn opened a tailoring establishment at Numbers 1, 2 and 3 Marvin Row. This was a one story building extending from Broadway to Long Alley on the north side of Division street.

May 8, The United States Hotel was operated by J. M. Marvin and Co.; Union Hall by Hathorn and Ainsworth; Columbian hotel by W. S. Balch; Stanwix Hotel by David Richards; Lake House at Saratoga Lake by George C. Loomis; Congress Hall by George Daley.

July 20, Metropolitan Theatre, formerly the Pavilion Theatre at Pavilion Spring on Lake avenue was opened with Thomas Moore Tyrell, as manager.

September 20, 21, 22, 23, The State Agricultural Society Fair was held on the grounds now occupied by St. Clements church, Lake avenue, and extending to the Ten Spring Woods.

November 5, the village was lighted with gas for the first time, marking an epoch in the village.



Previous PageReturn to Index
Next PageReturn to Saratoga County Home Page