Previous PageNext PageReturn to Index

"Reminiscences of Saratoga"
compiled by Cornelius E. Durkee

Page 26
June 24, the small hotel of Harry Minchin on Van Dam street was destroyed by fire.

July 4, a public address was made in Ballston Spa to commemorate the Bemis Heights Centennial, George D. Scott delivering the historical address and Judge Jesse S. L'Amoreaux pronouncing the centennial oration.

John W. Crane was elected county judge.

Cornelius A. Waldron was surrogate in this year.

George G. Scott was supervisor. James H. Wright was county treasurer.

George West was elected member of the assembly.

December 23, Charles F. Paul purchased B. F. Judson's interest in The Saratogian; the new firm being styled Paul and Ritchie.


1877

June 5, Post Luther M. Wheeler 92, Grand Army of the Republic was chartered.

July 4, Judge Augustus Bockes was the principal speaker at a celebration in honor of the Declaration of Independence.

Sept. 19 - The 100th anniversary of the battle of Bemis Heights was observed with brilliant ceremonies. A grand parade was held from the Square at Bemis Heights Hotel to the battlefield. Gen Winsor B. French was the grand marshall. Exercises were held at noon at the battlefield.

Oct. 17. The 100th anniversary of the surrender of Burgoyne was marked by a memorial program whtch attracted some 40,000 visitors fnom all over the country. The ceremonies were featured by a parade, and exercises at the monument, closing with a spectacular military pageant representing the surrender of Gen Burgoyne's army. Among the distinguished persons attending were: Governor Alexander H. Rice of Massachusetts, ex governor Horatio Seymour, General James Grant Wilson and William L. Stone.

General Winsor B. French was the chief marshall and others on his staff included: B. F. Judson, A. A. Patterson, James W. Lester, William W. Worden Edgar Truman Brackett, Samuel F. Corey, James M. Andrews, Edward P. Howe, Captain P. E. Allen, W. J. Riggs, William H. Hall, Hiram Rogers and R. A. Heminway. (Nearly all of these have since passed to their graves.)

The Grand Lodge of the State of New York, Free and Accepted Masons, conducted the exercises of the laying of the cornerstone of the Saratoga Battle Monument. The military pageant on this occasion was two miles in length.

In the fall of 1877. the idea of an organization of the 22d Separate Company or the Saratoga Citizens Corps was conceived, the thought arising from the fact that at The celebration of the Battle of Bemis Heights, there was no military organization in the city to receive the governor's foot guards. The work of enlistment of such a company was begun.

The Rev. Daniel Corey was named the first pastor of the Second Baptist Church, which had been organized, Feb. 7, 1874. The Second Baptist Church is now a part of the First Baptist Church.

September - St. Paul's Catholic Church at Rock City Falls was dedicated by Bishop McNierney.

In this year Edgar Truman Brackett was a member of the law firm of Pond, French, and Brackett, one of the enterprizing law firms of the community.


1878

March 3. Randall D. Hulin, died. aged 68 years.

March 15, Charlotte A, wife of Samuel W. Fuller died.

March 25, the 22nd Separate Company was organized and mustered into the service of the state with a total strength of 3 officers and 100 men. The first officers were: Captain John T. Fassett; First lieutenant George H. Gillis; second lieutenant, Hamilton P. Burney; third lieutenant, Dr. John L. Perry.

September 30, Dr. James G. Bacon married Elizabeth Fish. Dr. Bacon was a very promising and popular physician. Dr Bacon died the day following his marriage.



Previous PageReturn to Index
Next PageReturn to Saratoga County Home Page