|Previous Page||Next Page||Return to Index|
Another of the great tragedies of the period occurred on July 5th and shocked Saratogians with the rest of the world. This was the fire in a building at St. Johns, N. F. in which 600 lives were lost.
May 23, On this date occurred the death of Prof. H. A. Wilson. He was the son of Abijah Wilson and Lucy Wright and was born in Winchester, Conn. Dec. 19, 1812. In 1826 he went to Lowville, Lewis County and spent one year in the Academy at that place then two years in Huron, Ohio, and later graduated from Wesleyan University. He married Hannah Bosworth of West Harland, Conn. May 12, 1841, and that year was principal of the Jonesville Academy at Jonesville, N. Y.
Oct. 13, Former Chief Elias J. Shadwick who had heen absent from his post since May 13. 1892, was again made chief. The resolution returning him to that post declared that he was more adapted to the post of fire chief than anyone else, and in that capacity was of greatest benefit to the village and people. The fire chief is still in that position.
Convention Hall was completed in the fall of 1893. Work on the building had begun in the previous year. The entire cost to the village was $100,000.
Caleb W. Mitchell was village president in this year. John T. Dilion was village clerk during his term of office.
A number of Saratogians visited the World's Fair at Chicago, Ill. in this year, opening in May, 1893.
Dec. 26, Tbe death of Samuel Freeburn occurred. He was the discoverer of Hathorn Spring, while at work in 1868. He was the father of Mrs. Lewis H. Hays and Mrs. Margaret A. Northrup and formerly lived on Broadway in the building now occupied by the Hays Confectionery store.
David F. Ritchie was postmaster In 1892, 1893 and 1894.
In 1893, John Foley was appointed by Governor Flower of the state to be chief executive officer of New York State at the World's Fair in Chicago to succeed Senator Donald McNaughton, who had died.
Jan. 1, A brilliant ball was given by The Saratoga Citizens Corps in the Armory.
Jan. 2, Ice harvesting was begun on Loughberry lake, the ice being 12 inches thick.
Jan. 3, Lucretia Martin died.
Jan. 11, Hobert Fergusson, aged 86 years, died.
Jan. 16, James M. Marvin was elected president of the First National Bank. On this date also, Charles C. Van Deusen purchased the William Waterbury building, the premises now occupied by F. V. Hewitt and Son.
Jan. 19, The Ice harvest at Saratoga Lake was concluded.
Jan. 20, Mrs. Lydia A. Hays, prominent in community affairs, died.
Feb. 1, The Saratoga Club held its housewarming, in honor of moving into its new clubhouse on Broadway opposite Grove street. The clubhouse and site cost $30,000. James M. Marvin was president, and Willard Lester, vice-president.
Feb. 4, Reuben Merchant died.
Feb. 5, The thermometer registered 30 degrees below zero.
Feb. 9, James H. Rugg, a telegraph operator here for many years, died.
Feb. 11, Occurred the death of John Robert McGregor.
Feb.18, Dr. W. H. Hall purchased the Wiggins property, the stone house opposite the Bethesda Episcopal Church on Washington street.
Feb.22, Commander E. J. Woodward died.
Feb. 25, The Rev. George W. Nicholson, resigned as pastor of the Baptist Church.
Feb. 17, The Saratoga Club gave a reception to James M. Marvin, the president, in honor of his 85th birthday.
Mar. 1, George R. P. Shackelford, and C. E. Hartwell formed a co-partnership and began business on Division street.
|Previous Page||Return to Index|
|Next Page||Return to Saratoga County Home Page|