|Previous Page||Next Page||Return to Index|
July, Atty James Lee Scott was appointed referee in Bankruptcy for the counties of Saratoga, Schenectady and Warren.
Aug. 10, Albert Johnson Starr, who was owner and propretor of Washington Hall on North Broadway, died. His daughter, Jessie Starr married Willard Lester, who died June 18, 1926, Mrs. Lester is still a resident of Saratoga Springs.
Sept. 9, occurred the death of William Augustus Shepard, aged 75. Mr. Shepard came to Saratoga Springs in 1868 and erected the handsome residence on North Broadway, known as The Gables. Later this residence was purchased by Amos Enos. Mr. Shepard was a well-known resident of the community, and active in many affairs.
Oct. 24, Dewitt C. Hoyt, a native of Greenfield, where he was born Aug. 25, 1824, died. He was for several years owner and proprietor of Hoyts' Hotel, corner of Caroline and Henry streets. He was a member of the New York State Legislature in 1869.
Oct. 27, Company L., which was the official title given to the former Twenty-Second Separate Co., was mustered out of the service, at their armory at Saratoga Springs. During the service, the Company had lost by death the following:
Pvt. Frank S. Leonard died July 31 of cerebral apoplexy at Fernandina, Fla.; Pvt. Tracey E. West died Aug. 7 at the same place of typhoid fever; Pvt. Elmer J. Jourdan died Aug. 17 of typhoid fever at Fort McPherson Hospital, Ga.; Pvt. Wm. J. Searing died Aug.19, 1898 of typhoid fever at Fernandina, Fla.; Pvt. Robertson A. Parker died Sept. 5 of typhoid fever at Troy; Pvt. Thomas W. McNamara died Sept. 7 of typhoid fever at Troy; Pvt. James A. Holden died Sept. 13 of typhoid fever at Troy; Lt. Frederick P. McNair died Oct. 18 of typhoid fever at Saratoga Springs; Miss Reubena Hyde Walworth, a nurse died of typhoid fever.
During the war, Mrs. Ellen Hardin Walworth was president of the Woman's National War Relief Association. On July 4, Saratoga County residents gave a fair which netted $1,200 for the County Company. The fair was held at Ballston Spa.
Feb. 9, at 4:16 a .m. with the thermometer registered around zero, fire was discovered in the depot of the Delaware and Hudson Company on Railroad place. The depot at that time was a long structure of brick and iron, and notwithstanding that fact, fire was seen, on the arrival of the department, to be enveloping the whole length. The wind carried the cinders across the street and Sweeny's Hotel, and an adjoining building were burned, while considerable damage was done in the buildings occupied by Walsh and Rourke Bros. James Snyder, the station watchman, was burned to death. The loss by fire was estimated at $12,000.
March 20, Joseph Van Buren was burned to death in a fire which consumed a small one story wooden house on the east side of Spring street.
In this year, D. M. Kelsey, was supervisor of music in the public schools.
March 31, occurred the death of W. B. B. Wescott. Mr. Wescott was born in the town of Greenfield in 1820 and was the son of Lewis and P. B. Wescott. He came to this city and engaged in the mercantile business. Later he was engaged by other business houses as book-keeper.
May 29. Alexander Stevenson Hays, died. Mr. Hays was born at Galway, April 1. 1825. He came to Saratoga in 1846, and was connected with Joel Root, who conducted a bakery in the building
|Previous Page||Return to Index|
|Next Page||Return to Saratoga County Home Page|