|Previous Page||Next Page||Return to Index|
In 1865, he formed a co-partnership with W. H. McCaffrey and purchased the High Rock Spring, which he greatly improved. He was elected member of assembly in the Fall of 1869 and served that term. He married Catherine Ham. There were no children.
Dec. 26, in the early morning, the fire department was summoned to the residence of Mrs. Ellen Gibson, 48 Ash street, where sparks from the stove, while she was replenishing the fire, had ignited her dress. She was an elderly woman, and was fatally burned, dying shortly after the fire was extinguished in her home.
A $50,000 Holly Engine with a capacity of eight millions every twenty-four hours, was purchased by the village for the city water works.
The G. F. Harvey Co. was incorporated in this year by George F. Harvey, S. A. Rickard, and Edgar Truman Brackett, with stock of $200,000.
Jan. 5, The death of Simeon Van Deusen occurred.
Feb. 9 Edmund J. Huling died on this date, his wife dying the same year on April 25. Both were well- known, active residents.
Feb. 15, Henry W. Merrill died.
Feb. 24, The Commercial Hotel was sold to J. J. Wandell.
Apr 30, George T. Church and Alice Porter were united in marriage.
May 28, The Windsor Hotel opened for the season of 1891.
June 25, The United States Hotel and the Congress Hall opened for the season; followed by the Grand Union, and Kensington on June 26.
July 28, The races opened.
Aug. 15, The race course was sold to a syndicate G. Walbaum and others.
Nov. 17, The Rev. P. S. Allen resigned as pastor of the First Presbyterian Church .
Dec. 6, The Rev. G. W. Nicholson began his pastorage of the First Baptist Church.
Dec.17, Augustus A. Trim died.
A memorable event of the year 1891 was the burning on March 9, of Yaddo, the estate of Mr. and Mrs. Spencer Trask. A messenger on horseback brought the word to the Central Fire House, and the department rushed to the scene. The blaze had gained such great headway before the department was notified, that there was nothing to do but let the fire burn itself out. The blaze was seen for miles around, and illumined the sky for considerable time, although it was daylight. The loss suffered in this fire was the largest in the record of the department in nearly ten years, being estimated at $50,991.00.
Dr. R. C. McEwen's term as captain of the Twenty-Second Separate Company expired. He had served in that capacity since 1883.
Benjaimin Harrison, president of the United States was a distinguished visitor in the village Aug. 21, 1891, and on that occasion, The Twenty-Second Separate Company acted as escort to him.
Deyoe Lohnas' term as president of the village expired.
Amos S. Browne was village Clerk in 1890-91, succeeding Samuel F. Corey, who had been village clerk for nine years.
The year 1891 was saddened for scores of Saratogians because of the deaths of seventeen prominent residents, well-known in the history of the community and active in its upbuilding.
|Previous Page||Return to Index|
|Next Page||Return to Saratoga County Home Page|