|Previous Page||Next Page||Return to Index|
Marconi signalled the letter S across the Atlantic from England to Newfoundland. Saratogians were thrilled with the news as was the rest of the world.
October 2, occurred the death of Daniel Seymour Gilbert. Mr. Gilbert was the son of Morris Gilbert and was born in May, 1831, on the Gilbert Homestead out Nelson avenue, later the residence of Alonson Trask. For a few years, he was a teacher and later he entered the employ of Henry H. Hathorn, as steward of Congress Hall. He was United States deputy marshal for several years. In 1864 he married Lucretia Vaughn.
In the summer of 1901, Saratoga chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution entertained the State Conference of the society here. The occasion was of more than usual importance because of the presence of the President General, Mrs. Charles W. Fairbanks.
Mrs. James Mingay was elected regent of Saratoga chapter, D. A. R., in the fall of 1901.
October 9, the boarding house on Grand avenue, just west of the Adirondack railroad track, was the scene of a slight fire. This house owned by Jerome Pitney was one of the fashionable boarding houses of the resort in the 1860's.
The Arcade fire of the year 1902, was one of the memorable dates of that year. The Arcade building at that time was a veritable fire trap and had long been dreaded by the fire department. Five persons were burned to death in the halocaust, and the Arcade building was completely destroyed. Luther M. Wheeler Post. 92, G. A. R., which had its rooms above the post office lost all its war relics and valuable papers. The post office, The Saratogian office which had its plant under it, the G. A. R. hall above it, forty-nine other tenants in the building, the Citizens National Bank building, the Shackelford office, and the Theatre Saratoga were totally destroyed or had their places of business ruined. The property loss was close to $200,000.
The National Medical Association met in Saratoga Springs in June, and doctors in attendance at this were among the first to respond to the Arcade fire and give their service to those overcome in the fire.
1902, Mrs. John E. Hodgman was elected regent of Saratoga chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution and under her regency the work of securing markers for the road between Saratoga and the battlefield were started.
September 23, Francis Wayland Waterbury died. Mr. Waterbury was a son of Nathaniel H. Waterbury, one of the old residents of Saratoga. He was born in 1822. While a young man he engaged in the hardware business at North Adams, Mass. William Rowland Waterbury, his son, is still a prominent Broadway merchant.
November 19, Charles H. Tefft, well-known resident, died.
December 14, Alexander H. Patterson died. He was born December 8, 1827, in Belfast, Ireland, the son of John and Mary Austin Patterson. In 1836, the family came to Saratoga. By profession, Mr. Patterson was an architect, and the High school that was destroyed by fire a few years ago on Lake avenue, was designed by him. During the Civil War, he served with the Army of the Potomac, as captain of artillery. In 1888, a mineral spring was discovered on Mr. Patterson's property on Phila street. He named it the Patterson spring and erected a large building on it, which is now used by the State Reservation as a bath house. Two daughters, Misses Louisa H. and M. Augusta Patterson, are still residing in this city.
In this year, Saratogians watched with keen interest news from Martinique. St. Pierre, was destroyed by the eruption of Mt.
|Previous Page||Return to Index|
|Next Page||Return to Saratoga County Home Page|