|Previous Page||Next Page||Return to Index|
Dr. Dowd was the inventor of Standard Time, and fourteen years after he had devised the system, in November 18, 1883, it was put into effect. His children at present living in the city are Mrs. James W. Lester, Mrs. Lewis A. James, and Dr. Charles North Dowd
Outstanding events to interest Saratogians in 1904, were the opening of the Russo-Japanese War; the great fire at Baltimore, Md., when 1200 buildings were burned; the opening of the St. Louis Exposition; and the occupation of the Panama Canal Zone by the United States.
Jan. 3, The Saratoga Winter Club opened its tobboggan slide.
Jan. 3, Mr. and Mrs. Nathaniel Waterbury, celebrated the 50th anniversary of their wedding.
Jan. 4, The Saratoga Hospital Flower and Fruit Mission was organized by Mrs. Mary Shoemaker Gibson.
Jan. 11, Malcolm G. Annis, was elected president of the Business Men's Association.
Jan. 10, Mrs. Winsor B. French was hostess to the Travelers-At- Home Club.
Jan. 30, The Presbyterian Sunday School celebrated its 89th birthday.
Feb. 1, High Rock Council Royal Arcanum conducted its ladies nignt; James N. Crocker, regent.
Feb. 3, The prohibition leaders at the county met here.
Feb. 3, Announcement was made of the dissolution of the Saratoga Wrapper Manufacturing Co.
Feb. 14, The Kensington Hotel was sold for $50,000 to the National Savings Bank of Albany.
Feb. 14, occurred the death of Deman Vail. He was born in the old Carragan homestead, out Grand avenue, Feb. 28, 1824. On August 22, 1849, he married Susan Carragan and later moved to Schuylerville. Later Mr. Vail's house and store destroyed by fire and the following year, they went to California where Mr. Vail was proprietor of a store with Arthur D. Seavey. After eight years they returned to Saratoga Springs, and Mr. Vail with Mr. Seavey and Judge Hulbert, formed a partnership for the manufacture of bolts under the title of Hulbert, Vail, and Seavey. Their factory was located at The Geysers, and one day a mineral spring was found and the company turned its attention to marketing the water. Later Mr. Vail was connected with the Carlsbad Spring Co. Mr. and Mrs. Vail had two children, a son, and a daughter.
Feb. 27, Prin. Oliver B. Kipp, principal of the Grammar School, retired to be superintendent of the Charlton Industrial Farm.
Mar. 1, Mrs. Leland Stanford died. She was a relative of the late Mrs. George Perkins Lawton and founded Leland Stanford University.
Mar. 3, The Saratoga Athenaeum met, Winsor B. French being president.
Mar. 6, The Saratoga Springs Mothers Club was organized, with Mrs. David O. Mears of Albany as the speaker. Mrs. William Durant was the first president.
Apr. 1, A Japanese newspaper expressed its gratitude to Saratogians for assistance in relief work.
Apr. 4, Coal for the public schools, this year coat $5.50 per ton.
May 19 occurred the death of D. K. Wilson. Mr. Wilson was born in South Ballston in 1832 and had been a resident of Saratoga for over 51 years. He served the Delaware and Hudson Railroad Co. as local ticket agent for over 50 years, retiring from service in 1901.
May 29, The Mystic Shriners held their annual convention in Convention Hall.
James D. McNulty was village president in this year.
|Previous Page||Return to Index|
|Next Page||Return to Saratoga County Home Page|