|Previous Page||Next Page||Return to Index|
One notes with interest that up to this time, deaths of many prominent residents showed them to be over 80 and many deaths were of persons over 90.
November 19, the Rev. Ebenezer Proudfit, aged 72 years, died.
Early in 1880, Seymour Ainsworth, developed a mineral spring near the southwest corner of Broadway and Congress spring which he named The Favorite. On the property he erected a three story brick building. The spring gave out not long afterward, and the large room was leased by Charles Leggett, noted checker player, who defeated the champion checker players of this nation and England.
January 18, John Newland, died at the age of 58 years.
February 4, Paoli Durkee, who was one of the first schoolmasters of Saratoga Springs, and a well-known resident died at the age of 73 years. He was the father of Cornelius E. Durkee, of 505 North Broadway, the author of these reminiscences.
February 6, Ephraim Child, died at the age of 81.
February 18, W. F. Darrow and Hiram Newell opened a dry goods store on Broadway.
February 20, Michin's Rising Star House on Van Dam street, was destroyed by fire. It was believed to be the work of an incendiary. This was the first official record of a fire of this nature.
February 23, W. H. Eustis, delivered an address at the 71st annual meeting of the Greenfield Total Abstinence Society. Some time later Mr. Eustis entered into a partnership with Judge John R. Putnam in the law business in this village. Still later he removed to Minneapolis, Minn., where he was successful as a lawyer and fortunate in buying real estate, and accumulated a vast fortune. He gave a valuable tract of land in that city and the total sum of $1,000,000 to establish a hospital for crippled children. Mr. Eustis was lame, and he had been told that, if he had been treated when young, he would not have been lame. This was the inspiration of his notable benevolent act
March 1, The New England Congregational church was organized with 78 members. The Rev. Thomas W. Jones was chosen pastor.
March 7, The Rev. Thomas W. Jones preached his first discourse before the New England Congregational church.
March 17, Samuel Ellis of Corinth trapped a panther near his home. Capture of a wild animal of this type was rare at this time of the county's history, but in the beginning, panthers inhabited the woods where Saratoga Springs later was built, in numbers.
March 21, The Rev. William H. Hughes completed his three years pastorate at the First Methodist church. For many years of his later life he lived at Mechanicville, and was well-known and beloved throughout the county. His death occured May 17, 1925 at his Mechanicville home.
March 30, The Village Charter election was held. James R Chapman was elected president, George W. Langdon, David Rouse, and Rhody Delaney, trustees.
April 7, The Adeiphi Hotel, W. H. McCaffrey, proprietor, opened for the season.
April 14, George R. Burrows, leased the Continental Hotel. This hotel was located on Washington street west of the railroad track.
April 20, Dr. John L. Perry returned from his European tour.
April 22, The Bicycle club, providing one of the most popular diversions of the times, rode to Saratoga Lake in 24 minutes.
|Previous Page||Return to Index|
|Next Page||Return to Saratoga County Home Page|